Friday, March 27, 2009

Jason is 18!

If you spend any time on Patty Bennett's blog (doesn't everyone), you'll know it's been a very traumatic week for her. Her son Jason just turned 18! I can't believe Patty has an 18 year old son, but I was fortunate enough to be invited to his birthday party and there were a bunch of nice kids celebrating so it must be true. I gave Jason a gift card, and knew I wanted it to be in a skinny tin, since I took a class where his mom showed us how to use them for that (and I still have a bunch of skinny tins), but they were pretty girly, and I know that wouldn't be appreciated, so I used the Stampin Up! Tailor Made Simply Scrappin Kit to make it as manly as possible.
I also used the now retired Form and Function background stamp to stamp the front of the tin with Not Quite Navy craft ink, then embossed it with clear embossing powder. I haven't found anything that will keep embossing powder off the rest of the tin (I cleaned it with alcohol and used the embossing buddy), but since it's clear, it looks fine. Using the heat tool on metal gets really hot though, so be careful if you attempt it.
For my final attempt to make it as guyish as possible, I die cut Jason's initials using the tag shaped self adhesive die cuts in the Tailor Made SS kit with the Serif Essentials alphabet and also in kraft cardstock, so I could float the letters on the belly band. I was happy with how it turned out. Not girly at all.




2 comments:

Patty Bennett said...

Thank you .. he LOVED it!! :) :) Jason's mom. :)

Tammy Dunlap said...

Love this! Nice job!