this was a "test" card I made when I was playing with my new stuff. I sponged the bride paper for the strip with the butterflies, the large oval with the vintage label stamp, and the rectangle with le francais stamped. I was just playing, and added the baby rhinestones from the eggcellent easter kit to a butterfly.
Friday, March 12, 2010
hahaha! I am SO addicted to these rag purses, I spent a fair amount of time at the fabric store the other day and found some cute buttons to use in the center of each square as an accent. just wanting to try other ways of personalizing the purses. I'll be getting to those shortly.
in the meantime, I also bought some felt in 2 browns and a pink, to coordinate with the stitched felt sweet pea flowers. I made the bag with single layers of felt, except where I added both inside and outside pockets, using the browns to make a checkerboard look, and the pink on the sides. it's pretty easy for it to stand up on it's own without batting.
I added the felt flowers with a glue gun, and they didn't take any time at all. I think I'm going to use big grommets for the handles to attach (since it's a single layer), or maybe the preformed handles you can get at the fabric store. these are TOO much fun and highly addictive. use caution!
Thursday, March 11, 2010
the wonderful rag purses are making the rounds, and all that I have seen so far use an "x" sewn through the scallop squares to keep the cotton batting in place. well, my sister ellen and I took a class 20+ years ago to learn how to make a "tied" quilt, so I wondered if it would work. I think it does! I wanted to add some extra bling, so while I was at the fabric store, I found some crystals that I tied on to the centers of the front scallops. it's hard to see, but it's nice and sparkly in person. I kept the outside black and white, but instead of using the same fabric to back the squares, I went for something with a little more punch, so it would show on the edges and compliment the tied yarn. it also makes a super cool inside!
I added pockets to the outside to hold my cell phone and keys which were super easy to add, and if I'd thought about it sooner, I would have added some to the inside as well. oh well, next time. I really liked doing the tied part, because it made it super easy to sit and do while I was watching television, then have a pretty easy time of sewing once all the pieces were ready. this one hasn't been washed yet to make the edges "raggy", but I think it'll turn out fine. I'll let you know if it's a problem!
Wednesday, March 10, 2010
hi, my name is sharon. oh wait, I HAVE done this blogging thing before, it's just been ages. I made this card with the vintage label set. I wanted to do something a little different than a label, so I figured out how I could use as many of the stamps from this set at one time (3). I liked it so much I used it for my swap with the wonderful control freaks!